Developer Student Clubs (DSC Lead) by Google Developer for undergraduate students of Pakistan
Google has opened applications for Developer Student Clubs Leads for undergraduate students in Pakistan for the first time ever. DSC is Google’s initiative that trains thousands of student developers every year and this program was previously not available in Pakistan.
These student clubs are led by a Team Lead who is selected based on his/her experience in the development side and his prominence in his/her’s university. Google will personally collaborate and assist the Team Lead in opening the student club on the respective university campus.
One of the success stories of these developer clubs is that of a deaf student who successfully became an Android app developer thanks to proper mentorship and coaching from her club. Check out the video below from Google for more info:
A recent survey conducted by Google shows that 83% of the former Team Leads of the DSC got a job or an internship due to their experience in managing the club. This is a prime opportunity for students in Pakistan to enhance their skills and assist their peers in IT through collaboration with Google.
The deadline for the applications for First Batch in Pakistan was May 15, 2019, and the form is 8 pages long but isn’t that extensive. The eligibility criteria state that students must at least have 1.5 years left in their respective universities before they sign up plus you have to make a 30-sec video introducing yourself and get a recommendation from a Faculty member from your university.
Developer Student Clubs (DSC) train thousands of student developers globally and work with their communities to solve real-life problems. Below you will find all the necessary info about the program and important links.
What is the benefit of being a DSC lead?
- Grow your personal and professional network
- Lead a Google developer community
- Help students grow as developers
- Build real-life solutions to local problems in your community.
- Get access to Google Developers’ resources and opportunities
- Be part of Google’s Developer Ecosystem -https://developers.google.com/programs/
- Participate in a global Solution Challenge
- Participate in Google Conferences and a DSC Summit
What are the application acceptance requirements to become a DSC lead?
- Enrolled in an undergraduate program at a college or university.
- Have minimum two years left until graduation.
- Passionate about creating impact in your community.
- Strong technical understanding of computer programming and/or software engineering.
- Have experience leading a team. This may include experience leading members or an organizing team with a student club, charitable cause, school project (does not need to be related to technology).
What type of commitment is needed as a DSC lead?
- Participation during one full academic year and mentor the second
- Set up or grow existing Developer Student Club within respective campus;
- Attendance at one 2–3 day onboarding summit in your region.
- Join one hour or less bi-weekly or monthly calls with Googlers to check-in and ask questions.
- Organize and host hands on workshops
- Identify local organizations and businesses who would benefit from technology based solutions and facilitate project based problem solving activities for club members
- Host showcase events that celebrate and build awareness around the projects built by your community.
- Share information about club activities through simple post-activity reporting form.
- On-board and pass off ownership to the next years DSC Lead for your community.
Developer Student Clubs Pakistan (DSC Pakistan)
Developer Student Clubs (DSC) is a Google Developers program for university students to learn mobile and web development skills. The clubs will be open to any student, ranging from novice developers who are just starting, to advanced developers who want to further their skills. The clubs are intended as a space for students to try out new ideas and collaborate to solve mobile and web development problems.
What is the role of a Lead?
- Set up the Developer Student Club on campus.
- Organize and teach mobile development to fellow students.
- Enable more students to be trainers and support them in conducting sessions.
- Identify local organizations that can benefit from mobile solutions, and facilitate solution development initiatives.
- Host showcases and other sessions to highlight the solutions.
I am also the member of first batch of DSC Leads are available across Pakistan. Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this story, please click the ???? button and share to help others find it! Feel free to leave a comment ???? below.
Let’s make a better culture. Let’s build a new community in Pakistan!